TISA OBJECTIVES AND STRATEGIC PRIORITIES
The Institute is an Industry body for the tobacco industry in Southern Africa established for and representing the interests of tobacco growers, leaf merchants, leaf processors, manufacturers, importers and exporters of tobacco products in Southern Africa.
In keeping with the Institute’s role in promoting a lawful, responsible and legislative compliant Industry, the Institute is hereby established for the following objects, strategic priorities and purposes, namely:
- to further the interests and disseminate the views of the Industry in Southern Africa;
- to protect the constitutional, statutory and common law rights of its Members and the Industry in Southern Africa;
- to play no commercial role in affairs and not to involve itself in competitive trade matters in the Industry, thus it will not be concerned with the commercial aspects of the growing, purchase, manufacture, pricing or marketing of tobacco or tobacco products in the Industry; and
- to have oversight of the state of compliance of its Members to the regulatory environment applicable to the industry.
- creating awareness of and supporting relevant stakeholders to curb illicit trade in tobacco products in the Southern African region;
- considering, lobbying and keeping abreast of tobacco control legislation and regulations in the Southern African region;
- monitoring and lobbying international treaties and agreements to the extent that they may impact on the South African Industry; and
- monitoring and facilitating meaningful transformation of the Industry to ensure a sustainable future.