There are a few simple ways to spot an illegal pack of cigarettes from a legal one. These are:
- There is no excise stamp (diamond stamp <SA>) on the pack.
- There are no health warnings on the pack.
- The quit line number is incorrect or missing: (011) 720-3145 OR +27 (11) 720-3145 OR +27 (0) 11 720-3145
- The Tar and Nicotine readings on the pack are higher than 12 mg Tar and 1,2 mg Nicotine and/or not printed on one of the long sides of the pack.
- The words “Reduced Ignition Propensity” is not printed anywhere on the pack (in force as of 16 November 2012)
- Excise duty alone on a pack of 20s is R15.52 (as of March 2018).
Stopping Illegal Trade
Be on the lookout. Notice what people are selling, what their cigarettes look like and for how much they are being sold. Report any suspicious activities or products to:
SARS Fraud and Anti-Corruption Hotline:
0800 00 28 70